Long Term Writing Support
Learning to communicate as an expert in your discipline and professional field is a life-long process. We offer workshop series, accountability groups, writing groups, and a writing certificate to provide long-term developmental support for graduate student and postdoctoral writers.
In May 2019, the Graduate School launched a new non-credit Writing certificate.Learn more on the Writing Certificate page
Writing Accountability Groups
Want to stay motivated and moving on your writing projects? We offer online writing accountability groups for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars looking for a low investment way to maintain research productivity while developing supportive, productive writing habits.
Starting in Fall 2019, we are piloting new accountability groups using WhatsApp™. You have the option to be a group member or a group leader. Participating as a Group Member satisfies 18 hours toward the Writing Certificate. Serving as a Group Leader satisfies 30 hours toward the Writing Certificate.
Participants in this group will benefit by:
- Staying motivated and maintaining progress on writing projects
- Developing skills in time management and manage a big or multiple writing projects
- Collaborating with other students/postdocs across disciplines
- Participating in a supportive community with students/postdocs outside of your lab/department
- Develop skills in leadership with the opportunity to serve as Group Leader
Group leaders are responsible for:
- Maintaining and moderating the group via WhatsApp by facilitating productive conversation and resource sharing
- Engaging your team in conversation and ongoing resource sharing
- Keeping project leaders informed of team dynamics and any challenges that arise
The deadline for signing up is August 30.Register for the Fall 2019 Writing Accountability Group
Writing Workshops and Series
We offer a full suite of writing workshops and developmental workshop series every semester on topics such as writing for publication, grant writing, and developing a strong writing routine.