2017-18 Travel Awards for Postdocs and House Officers
Description of Award
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs is pleased to announce the 2017-2018 Travel Awards for Postdocs at NC State University. These grants are designed to provide supplemental funding for postdoctoral scholars and house officers traveling to present at domestic and international conferences. Postdocs are eligible to receive up to $500 for domestic travel, or $750 for international travel.
Application Deadline Date Notified
September 15, 2017 October 15, 2017
December 15, 2017 January 15, 2018
March 15, 2018 April 15, 2018
June 15, 2018 July 15, 2018
1. Must have a current appointment at NC State University or affiliate research centers
2. Must have been in current postdoc position for at least 6 months prior to the submission deadline
3. Must use the award within one calendar year of receiving it
4. Must demonstrate evidence of attending at least one professional development program organized by The Graduate School, including workshops, courses, and events. A full list of current offerings can be found on the Professional Development website.
5. Limit 1 travel award per postdoc
All required materials must be submitted through the Qualtrics Application by the designated deadline.
3. Current CV
4. Proof of invitation from conference to present a paper, poster, or panel presentation
Domestic travel applications must be submitted 30 days prior to conference date. International travel applications must be submitted 60 days prior to conference date. Postdocs and House Officers who would like tickets, conference registration fees, and other expenses paid in advance must submit their applications at least 60 days prior to the conference.
Criteria for Evaluation
Applications will be reviewed on the following criteria:
1. Strength of application
- Merit of the application will be judged by the information provided in the application, abstract, and Faculty Mentor letter
- Evidence that the conference is relevant to field of study and beneficial for career development
2. Financial need
3. Evidence of involvement in Postdoc community and commitment to professional development
- Applicants must have participated in at least one professional development program organized by The Graduate School. Attendance is taken at most Graduate School events
- Other forms of involvement, including involvement in Postdoctoral Association (PDA) or other committees
Postdocs who receive a travel award are required to submit the following no more than two weeks upon their return:
1. A one-page (double-spaced) write up of the conference, what was presented, and what they gained from their experience
2. At least two photos from the event that can be used by OPA to promote postdoc research experiences