English Proficiency Requirements for International Students
In order to be eligible for admission to the graduate study at NCSU all international applicants, regardless of citizenship, must demonstrate proficiency in English at a level necessary to be successful in a graduate program at NC State. This requirement can be met for most applicants in one of the following ways; however, some programs may require additional evidence of English proficiency:
1. Provide Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a total score of at least 80 on the Internet-based Test (iBT). Minimum test scores for each section:
Listening: 18 points
Reading: 18 points
Writing: 18 points
Speaking: 18 points for admission, 23 points for TA appointment where TA has direct verbal interactions with students, 26 points for TA appointment where TA presents lectures in the class or laboratory
The maximum total score for the iBT is 120 with each section worth 30 points.
2. Provide International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores with an overall band score of at least 6.5. Minimum test scores for each section are listed below:
Speaking: 6.5 for admission, 7.0 for TA appointment
3. be a citizen of a country where English is an official language and the language of instruction in higher education; or
4. have successfully completed at least one year of full-time study in a degree program at a four-year US College or university.
5. TOEFL or IELTS test date must be no older than two years (24 months) prior to the beginning of the requested entry term.
NOTE: The current computer- and paper-based versions of the TOEFL test will be given until the iBT version is implemented in a particular location. Computer-based TOEFL scores must be 213 or higher (with at least 17 on three sections and no section score below 13). The paper-based test requires a score of 550 or higher (with scores of 50 on at least two of the three sections and no section score below 45).