Grading and Academic Standing

The Grading System

NC State University uses the following grading system:

Grade    Grade Points/Credit Hour
A+          4.33
A          4.00
A-          3.67
B+          3.33
B          3.00
B-          2.67
C+          2.33
C          2.00
C-          1.67
D+          1.33
D          1.00
D-          0.67
F          0.00

Grade Point Average (GPA)
The number of credit hours at the 400 level of higher that are attempted in a semester or summer session (for which regular grades are received) is divided into the total number of grade points earned to arrive at the grade point average. The cumulative and semester GPAs will include the effect of any A+ grades awarded (at 4 1/3 grade points) up to a grade point average of 4.000. The GPA will be calculated to three decimal points. Credits earned in PBS classification are also included in the GPA calculations and the determination of academic standing that become part of the Plan of Graduate Work.

Graduate Credit
To receive graduate degree credit, a grade of “C-” or higher is required in all courses taken after admission. Grades on courses taken for graduate credit as an undergraduate at NC State, in PBS classification, or transferred from other universities must have a grade of “B” or better to be transferred. All grades on courses numbered 400 and above taken in a graduate classification or for graduate credit as an undergraduate are included in the graduate GPA. Courses at the 300 level and below are not eligible for graduate credit and subsequently do not affect the graduate GPA. To graduate, a student must have a minimum 3.000 average on all graduate course work as well as all courses on his or her Plan of Graduate Work.

Graduate students who take 400-level courses that are letter graded do not have the option of taking the courses for “credit only” if they intend for the course to be part of their Plan of Graduate Work. It is appropriate for them to take selected 400-level letter-graded courses that are required by the program but will not be included in the Plan of Graduate Work for S-U grade. Examples would be 400-level courses in the student’s major and FLE courses.

Grading of Graduate Courses
5XX: Letter Graded Master’s Courses
6XX: S-U Graded Master’s Courses
7XX: Letter Graded Doctoral Courses (ALL 7XX courses are restricted to the following classification of students (class MR, DR, SR, SP and GR)
8XX: S-U Graded Doctoral Courses (ALL 8XX courses with the exception of those specifically listed at the end of this section are restricted to the following classification of students class MR, DR, SR, SP and GR)
9XX: Professional Courses in the College of Veterinary Medicine are not graduate courses and may not be counted in Plans of Work for graduate degrees

NOTE: Courses at the 500 and 700 level are letter graded. Students cannot enroll in these courses for “credit only”.

The grade of “IN” (Incomplete) may be given in any course at the discretion of the instructor for work not completed because of a serious interruption in the student’s work not caused by their own negligence. An “IN” must not be used, however, as a substitute for an “F” when the student’s performance in the course is not passing. An “IN” is only appropriate when the student’s record in the course is such that the successful completion of particular assignments, projects, or tests missed as a result of a documented serious event would enable that student to pass the course. Only work missed may be averaged into the grades already recorded for that student.

A student who receives an “IN” must complete the unfinished work to have the Incomplete converted to a final grade by the end of the next semester in which the student is enrolled, provided that this period is not longer than 12 months from the end of the semester or summer session in which the “IN” was received. Otherwise, the “IN” will be automatically converted to “F” or “U,” in accord with the grading approved for the particular course. All grades of “IN” must be cleared prior to graduation. Students must not register again for any courses in which they have “IN” grades. Such registration does not remove “IN” grades, and the completion of the course on the second occasion will automatically result in an “F” for the incomplete course.

Except in the case of Interinstitutional Registration, grades on courses transferred from another institution will not be included in computing the GPA.

Grade Changes
When submitted to the Department of Registration and Records, end-of-course grades are final and not subject to change by reason of a revision of the instructor’s judgment; nor are submitted grades to be revised on the basis of a second trial (e.g., a new examination or additional work undertaken or completed). Changes may only be made within one calendar year after the date final grades were submitted in order to correct an error of computation or transcribing or where part of the student’s work has been unintentionally overlooked.

Academic Warning, Probation and Termination
Graduate students are given a notice of academic warning if they have accumulated 18 or fewer hours at the 400 level or above and have less than a 3.000 GPA. Graduate students are placed on academic probation if they have accumulated more than 18 hours at the 400 level or above and have a GPA in the range of 2.667 to 2.999 and will be ineligible for financial aid or appointment or reappointment to an assistantship or fellowship. A student’s graduate study is terminated if they have accumulated more than 18 hours at the 400 level or above and have a GPA below 2.667 or if they have accumulated 30 or more hours and have less than a 3.000 GPA. “Accumulated” in all cases is defined as the total number of hours for which a grade has been issued.

In the case of program termination, no further registration in a graduate classification will be permitted. Under extenuating circumstances the student will be reinstated upon the written recommendation of the department and approval by the Graduate Dean. Departments have the prerogative of recommending the termination of a student’s graduate admission at any time if the student is not making satisfactory progress toward the degree.

Students who are eligible to attend the first summer session are eligible to attend either or both summer sessions. For example, students who receive a notice of “Graduate Admission Terminated” at the end of the first summer session may register for second summer session unless the major department recommends otherwise.

Eligibility for Assistantship, Fellowship or Traineeship
A graduate student must be in good academic standing to be eligible for appointment to an assistantship, fellowship or traineeship and must be registered in each semester in which the appointment is in effect.