Skip to main content
3.8 Doctoral Degree: Summary of Requirements
- Application materials and required fees received.
- Application materials reviewed by graduate program.
- Graduate program forwards recommendation regarding applicant’s admissibility to the Graduate School.
- The Graduate School reviews the recommendation and the student is notified of the action taken on the request for admission.
- Outstanding official transcripts, if any, showing any or all post-secondary degrees conferred since application should be submitted by student to the Graduate School prior to matriculation.
- Student matriculates, is assigned a graduate advisor, and develops a Plan of Work with the advisor/DGP.
- Student submits online Patent Agreement through Student Self-Service in MyPack Portal.
- Student formulates an advisory committees of at least four members of the Graduate Faculty. The Graduate School also selects a Graduate School Representative, if required.
- Plan of Work is prepared by the student in consultation with the advisory committee.
- Preliminary oral examinations in the major and, where required, minor fields are scheduled. The results are sent to the Graduate School.
- At least two weeks prior to the final oral examination, the chair of the student’s advisory committee submits the dissertation to advisory committee members for review.
- The chair submits, through the DGP, the request to the Graduate School to Schedule the Doctoral Oral Examination at least two weeks prior to the examination. Upon approval of the request, the student and the examining committee, including the Graduate School Representative are notified of the time and place of the examination.
- Students must submit their dissertation to the ETD System. Deadlines appear in the Graduate School Calendar. In addition, they must submit all required forms and fees prior to final approval.
- Student must apply to graduate in MyPack Portal by the deadline in the term in which they plan to graduate to be placed on the graduation list, have their name printed in the graduation program, have the diploma ordered, and the transcript posted.
- All coursework scheduled in a graduate degree classification must be completed prior to graduation.
- The cumulative and program GPA must be at least 3.000 to graduate.
- All degree requirements must be completed within ten calendar years of the admission term or the date of the first course used in the Plan of Work, whichever is earlier, unless a program has a more restrictive time limit.