The Graduate School
Graduate instruction was first offered at North Carolina State University in 1893, and the first doctoral degree was conferred in 1926. In the ensuing years, the Graduate School has grown steadily and now provides instruction and facilities for advanced study and research in the fields of agriculture and life sciences, design, education, engineering, natural resources, humanities and social sciences, management, physical and mathematical sciences, textiles and veterinary medicine.
The Graduate School is currently composed of more than 2,400 graduate faculty members. Educated at major universities throughout the world and established both in advanced teaching and research, these scholars guide the University’s more than 7,000 master’s and doctoral students from all areas of the U.S. and many other countries. The faculty and students have available exceptional facilities, including libraries, laboratories, modern equipment and special research areas.
Additionally, a cooperative agreement exists among the Graduate Schools of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Duke University, and North Carolina State University which increases the educational and research possibilities associated with each institution.