Diversity is an inclusive collection of individuals and groups who bring varied human characteristics, backgrounds, interests and points of view to enrich the university community. NC State actively pursues student body and faculty diversity – creating a welcoming climate for all scholars while broadening our academic perspective.
The Graduate School strongly supports diversity in graduate education through graduate student organizations, professional development, and funding opportunities. There are a number of programs offered through the Graduate School that are designed to increase diversity at NC State and to create a more inclusive and welcoming environment for the entire university community.
- The Graduate School hosts a series of “Graduate Student Crosstalks” designed to promote diversity in graduate education – and give graduate students the opportunity to network with other graduate students from diverse backgrounds and disciplines. At the Crosstalks, students have the opportunity to discuss topics related to graduate education – or any other topic of interest to them. For additional information, please contact Dr. David Shafer, Assistant Dean.
- Directors of Graduate Programs are invited to submit nominations for supplemental Graduate School Diversity Enhancement Recruiting Fellowships to increase the amount funds offered to incoming graduate students.
- For current graduate students, we also offer Diversity Enhancement Grants, which provide supplemental fellowships up to $4,000, depending on financial need.
- The SREB Doctoral Scholars Program expands NC State’s efforts to fully tap this nation’s human talent pool by creating a better pathway to the Ph.D. for students from underrepresented groups in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Through this program, NC State offers fellowships and professional development opportunities to doctoral students who ultimately will increase diversity in the professoriate.
- The Graduate School sends a representative to a number of diversity-focused recruitment fairs and conferences annually.