Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
Postdoctoral scholars are a vital part of the research endeavors at our university, and NC State University’s OPA was established on August 1, 2008 to serve as a clearinghouse for information related to postdoctoral appointments as well as to provide programs, resources and support to postdocs. As the largest land-grant university in North Carolina and as part of the Research Triangle, this institution provides an array of resources for our postdoctoral scholars to prepare them for both a successful transition to our university community and to a career beyond their postdoctoral appointments. This website provides postdocs with information about a variety of topics, resources and opportunities.
The vision of OPA is to enhance, support and promote the postdoctoral experience so that postdoctoral scholars can contribute effectively to the research and scholarly endeavors of NC State University, develop their professional skills more intently, and move on to rewarding and successful careers.
Join the Pack! Open Postdoc Positions
Postdocs and House Officers at NC State
There are approximately 350 postdoctoral scholars and 100 house officers working at NC State at any given time.
Postdoctoral Scholars are individuals who have earned a terminal degree and who are engaged in temporary research, teaching, and scholarship-based training positions at the university. Postdoctoral scholars work across academic colleges and centers at the university.
House Officers are individuals who have earned a DVM or equivalent degree, and who are working in clinical-based training positions in the College of Veterinary Medicine. House Officers include both interns and residents.
- Approximately 448 postdocs and house officers total (January 2021)
- College of Textiles (COT) – 5
- Kannapolis – 12
- Research Centers & Community Engagement (Centers) – 16
- College of Engineering (COE) – 98
- College of Education (CED) – 3
- College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) – 143 (includes 109 House Officers)
- College of Sciences (COS) – 58
- College of Natural Resources (CNR) – 22
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHASS) – 7
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) – 84
- 50% international postdocs
- 37% female
- 11% under-represented minorities
- 97% STEM-related
Let us know about your recent professional accomplishments!
Check out profiles on NC State alumni, postdoc spotlights, and more.
- To serve as an advocate for postdoctoral scholars and house officers within NC State, and among the external community
- To administer, monitor, and support the appointments of postdoctoral scholars and house officers
- To serve as the central resource office for postdoc-related issues
- To provide career services and professional development programs for postdocs and house officers
- To develop a sense of community for all NC State postdocs and house officers into the larger University community
- To serve as a resource for principal investigators and faculty who mentor postdocs and house officers
Dr. Chris Smith, Postdoctoral Affairs Program Manager
Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
1020 Main Campus Drive
Raleigh, NC 27695
It is our goal to have your postdoctoral experience here at NC State University be both rewarding and enriching. If you have a question or need assistance, do not hesitate to contact the OPA Office.