New Master’s Distance Education Programs
Procedure for On-Campus and System Level Approval
The development of Master’s Distance Education degree programs requires the submission of UNC System Policy No. 400.1.1.1[R] Letter of Intent (and relevant On-Campus Routing Form) and Request to Establish (and relevant On-Campus Routing Form).
In order to expedite the development and approval process at NC State, departments/programs are encouraged to begin working on the Request to Establish as soon as the Request to Plan is submitted.
The development and approval process for the Request to Plan and Request to Establish is as follows:
- Departments/faculty should work with the appropriate College(s),the Graduate School, and Distance Education and Learning Technology Applications (DELTA) during the early planning process.
- Department Head(s) (or program coordinator for interdisciplinary programs) endorse the documents and submit to the College Dean(s).
- College Graduate Committee(s) recommend.
- Consultation should take place between the College Dean’s Office and Provost.
- College Dean(s) endorse and submits to DELTA for recommendation.
- College Dean(s) submit to the Graduate School an electronic file and one signed hard copy.
- Substantive Change Review Team informed and SACSCOC notified (if necessary).
- The Administrative Board of the Graduate School recommends (meets every 2 weeks during the academic year).
- Graduate Operations Council is informed (meets 1st Wednesday of each month).
- Dean of the Graduate School approves and submits to Provost.
- Vice Provosts informed.
- Recommended by Dean’s Council (meets 2nd & 4th Thursday each month).
- Recommended by Chancellor’s Executive Officers (EOM).
- University Council (UC) informed (meets September, November, January, and April).
- Board of Trustees (BOT) informed (meets September, November, February, and April).
- Provost approves and submits to Chancellor.
- Chancellor approves.
- Submitted to UNC System Office by Provost’s Office.
Upon receipt of the notification of intent to plan, the UNC System Office will add this program-planning activity to a list that will be maintained by Academic Affairs and made available to all UNC institutions.
Requests to Establish must be submitted at least two months prior to the proposed date of establishment (and therefore, as noted previously, notification of intent to plan must be submitted at least three months prior to implementation).
The On-Campus Routing Form (see above) and Signature Page should be used for routing the proposal.