Table of Contents
You can format your Table of Contents in a variety of ways, but it must follow some general guidelines. For a visual demonstration of these guidelines, see the sample Table of Contents (PDF).
First and Second Entries
- If your thesis includes tables and figures, your first entry should be “List of Tables” and your second should be “List of Figures.”
- Do not include listings for the Table of Contents itself or any preliminary pages that appear before it.
- There should be a uniform spacing hierarchy, as follows:
- Left-align the titles of your main required pages (List of Tables and/or List of Figures, Appendices title page) and any main section headers.
- Indent sub-headers or any other entries
- Page numbers must be in a straight line.
- Dotted lines should almost touch the entry text and its associated page number.
- Entry text should not touch or overlap with page numbers.