Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

This page includes information about the following topics:

  • Including Your Previously Published Work
  • Embargo Requests
  • Requesting a Letter of Completion
  • Printing ETDs

Including Your Previously Published Work

If you want to include a chapter that has already been published elsewhere, you should do one of the following:

  • Copy the text into your document and format it in accordance with the ETD guidelines, as you would the rest of your document.
  • Insert the pdf of your published document.
    • You may have to insert each pdf page individually.
    • Each page must fit within the required 1 inch margin lines.
    • Even though the page numbers on the image of your published article will be different, your thesis’ page numbers should continue their consecutive count throughout this chapter.

On the chapter title page, your header should match the formatting and location of other chapter title pages, but this title page should also include full reference information about the original publication source. *Please note: some publishers may require permission for reproducing published work in the university repository. If you plan on using previously published work for your dissertation, please be sure to obtain express permission from the journal or source in which your work was originally published.

Tables and Figures: It is likely that the tables and figures in your published article will be numbered sequentially from “1” (1,2,3, etc.). If this is the case, the easiest way to maintain a consistent numbering system is to follow this logic for each chapter — simply start numbering at 1 — and include headers in your List of Tables and List of Figures to separate each chapter. See a visual example here (PDF).

Embargo Requests

If students would like to postpone the release of their ETD, they should submit an embargo request via the ETD system, prior to making their final file submission.

MFAs are automatically granted an indefinite embargo. The option to make a request will appear at the bottom of their ETD system page, after the student has made their initial ETD submission. Students can request an embargo for the following reasons:

  • Patent: An ETD containing disclosures of patented information may be embargoed for a maximum of one year after final committee approval.
  • Publication: If some material in an ETD has been published or is under review for publication, the journal or other place of publication may have a policy that restricts release of that material. However, the vast majority of journals do not prohibit publication for an educational purpose.

Embargo requests must include the following justification:

  • A written request that provides adequate context for the request and a clear rationale that explains why the embargo is necessary.
  • A screenshot of or link to the actual policy that proves the need for this request.

If an embargo is approved, the ETD will not appear on the web or in any search until the day the embargo ends. The embargo date will be either three months or one year from final committee approval.

Early Embargo Release
If a student successfully embargoes their ETD and want to release it prior to the expiration date, they must email the request to the ETD Reviewer (

Embargo Extension
Embargo extensions are not common. If an embargo extension is needed, students must email the ETD Reviewer a minimum of two weeks prior to the ETD being released from the embargo. The extension request email must state:

  • The reason the embargo needs to be extended.
  • The new proposed embargo date.

The Dean of the Graduate School will review the information with the committee chair to make a decision.

Requesting a Letter of Completion

If you need proof of your degree completion for an employer, you can request a letter of completion that officially attests that you have completed all degree requirements. To receive this letter, you must have met all degree requirements, which includes having your ETD finalized by the ETD Reviewer and approved by all of your committee members.

Requests for a letter of completion should be made to the Graduate School’s liaison to your college. The liaisons are listed below:

  • Jennifer Beaman
    • Liaison for College of Engineering, Operations Research
    • 919-515-1993
  • Jenni Wilson
    • Liaison for Education, Management, Natural Resources, Certificates
    • 919-515-2293
  • Annette Adkison
    • Liaison for College of Sciences, Design, Humanities, Social Science
    • 919-513-7234
  • Jordan Smith
    • Liaison for Agriculture & Life Sciences, Textiles, Veterinary Medicine
    • 919-515-1990

Printing ETDs

We do not provide or store printed copies of your dissertation. However, students may purchase printed copies of their work at the following locations: