Skip to main content

International Postdocs

Resources for International Postdocs

Our international postdocs an invaluable resource to our university, and we understand that these scholars face additional hurdles as they settle into their careers at NC State. We have compiled university and local resources to make their transition more manageable.

On-Campus Resources

Office of International Services

The NC State Office of International Services (OIS) provides administrative, advising, and programming needs for the international students, staff and faculty at North Carolina State University. The OIS website offers a wealth of information for international postdocs, such as guidance on what to do when you first arrive in the United States, housing and utilities, and how to obtain a driver’s license and a Social Security number.

J-1 Scholar Pre-Arrival Guide

OIS also offers a series of information sessions throughout the year.

Search for “OIS” in the Course/Program ID in the Reporter Catalog to register or add these sessions to your watchlist.

International Employment

International Employment (IE) assists campus to successfully employ and retain foreign national employees needing employment sponsorship on a temporary or permanent basis. IE stays current with relevant U.S. Citizenship and Immigrant Services, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Labor, and Department of State regulations and policies, and provides education to the university community to facilitate understanding and compliance. IE is also responsible for monitoring and auditing the I-9 and E-Verify processes and ensuring compliance with federal employment eligibility regulations.

Public and/or English Speaking Practice and Skills

NC State offers a variety of resources for postdocs interested in improving their English skills and gaining practice.

English Conversation Club

Office of International Services (OIS) hosts English Conversation Club several times throughout the week. There is no application or registration required to attend. English Conversation Club is a great place to learn commonly used idioms, practice your conversation skills and learn American vocabulary. English Conversation Club is open to current NC State students, scholars, spouse, or family members.

  • Tuesdays from 4:30 – 5:30pm in Engineering Building II (EB2) Room 1220 on Centennial Campus
  • Thursdays from 4:30 – 5:30pm in Engineering Building II (EB2) Room 1220 on Centennial Campus
  • Fridays from 3:30 – 4:30pm in Daniels Hall  Room 214 on Main Campus

ESL Class

This is a FREE conversation and pronunciation class offered through Foreign Language and Literature Department for international graduate students, visiting scholars, and spouses. Individuals can begin any time and no registration is required.

  • Thursdays from 6 – 7:15PM in Danels 232
  • Fridays 10:00 – 11:15AM in Tompkins G125

Campus Toastmasters Club

Are you a postdoctoral scholar who is interested in learning how to improve your public speaking skills? Try Toastmasters! The mission of a Toastmasters Club is to provide a mutually supportive and positive learning environment in which every member has the opportunity to develop communication and leadership skills, which in turn foster self-confidence and personal growth. The Campus Toastmasters Club meets at 5:45 p.m. on Wednesdays in Room 103 of Kilgore Hall. Please see the Campus Toastmasters Club website for more information about the club, the club officers and how to contact them.

Intensive English Program

NC State University’s Intensive English Program (IEP) is a full-time, non-credit academic program offered Fall and Spring semesters for international students. Students who attend this program can take classes to acquire English proficiency in all key language skills. There is a cost associated with this program.

Resources for Dependents and Families

OIS has a robust set of resources for the spouses and dependents of international students and scholars available on their website.

Pre-Arrival Guide for International Spouses

Resource Guide for International Spouses

Off-Campus Resources

Translation Services

Postdocs may, from time to time, need services that translate their foreign employment information (such as diplomas) to English. Refer to OIS’s website of Translation Services for a full and updated list.


The Internal Revenue Services (IRS) provides guidelines on how non-residents file their taxes while working within the United States.

The IRS also has an online publication, Publication 519, which is the U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

The Payroll Department at North Carolina State University has a process that foreign nationals need to follow to receive correct taxation of payment from the university.

North Carolina State University has a resource that may be able to help with tax questions:

Driver’s License

Information on how to acquire a North Carolina driver’s license is available at

Ethnic Food